Kitimat Gyro Club Update – September 2019
The following update is as requested by Governor Jordan Henry for the District IV Convention in Vernon:
2019 highlights since the April 2019 Nanaimo Interim were:
- Gyro Playoff Hockey Night in April 2019;
- A farewell bash for 50 year Gyro Dave Lee and his Gyro Lady Yvonne was held on May 23rd, 2019. Dave and Yvonne have since moved to Qualicum Bay on Vancouver Island and Dave has attained “International Associate Member” and a “District Associate Member” status.
- The 4thand 5thGyro Billiards Nights in April and July 2019;
- Presenting “The Kitimat Gyro Club Memorial Award” Scholarship in June 2019 to a grade 12 student that plans to further upgrade their education in acting, stage craft, writing or directing. This award is named in honour of the late Tom Ferguson who was a Kitimat Gyro Club Past President and involved in local arts and theatre;
- A happy 97thbirthday celebration for our clubs eldest Gyro Ken Minifie on August 31, 2019;
- The clubs “Chase the Ace” pot is now over $910 after 15 draws. There is a draw made at all of our clubs meetings and mixed events.
- The 64thKitimat Installation was held on the September 6-8th, 2019 weekend and was extremely successful. Thanks to special guests Colm Foy from the Camosun Gyro Club and Immediate Past District Governor Peter Evans for attending.
Upcoming events include:
- Our club BBQ is scheduled for the end of September, 2019;
- Founders Night and Gyro Trivia Night will be held in October, 2019;
- Decorating the Community Gyro Christmas Tree with new lights
- Our two (2) main fundraising activities are in the 4thquarter of each year:
- The Annual Grey Cup Stag in November 2019 for the 5thyear running;
- Bartending for the Kitimat Seniors Centre Xmas party in December 2019 for the 4thyear running;
- The Gyro Christmas Party will be held in December 2019 and will include a theme, a pot luck food spread, poems and gifts for the Gyro’s and a Chinese Gift Exchange for the Gyro Ladies;
You are welcome to follow along with through our clubs GYROMAT newsletter which is issued monthly by email within District IV or on the Kitimat Gyro Club website https://kitimat.gyro.org.
My apologies for not being able to make the Vernon Installation and District IV Convention this year. Hope to catch up with all of you another time.
President, Kitimat Gyro Club